The elements of the Barefoot Ecologists’ Toolbox are (with some resources still in development):
- A portal developed and maintained voluntarily by Dr Adrian Hordyk (UBC) provides access to the Length based Spawning Potential assessment software both for use online or as downloadable software (accessible at barefootecologist.com.au).
- In partnership with cChange of Fiji, communications packages have been developed to effectively facilitate community-based fisheries management:
- Community Presentation in English & also in Fijian;
- cChange FlipChart book;
- Links to cChange testimonial videos;
- Examples of fish measuring tapes.
- The Spawning Potential Survey Handbook. This early draft of a handbook aims to provide the detailed description of the methodology.
- Blank Data Sheets: Anyone wanting to collect Spawning Potential Survey Data can download and use these templates in Excel Spreadsheet form.
- Materials for constructing fish measuring boards.
- Fishing Videos: Sitting around in Pacific communities waiting for a meeting to start takes time. May as well use it constructively and give people an incentive to come to the meeting. Fishing communities love watching underwater videos of fish. Here are some of our favourites.
- Fish Identification Powerpoint and SPC Fish guide. The difficulty of identifying fish in the Indo-Pacific species assemblage confronts everyone working in the field. We find the recently produced SPC fish guide and our own fish ID powerpoint most useful.